Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Feast Your Eyes


It really doesn't take as much time as I always expect it will to downsize the pictures on my labtop, then transfer to my internet Mac, and upload using dial-up. It seems arduous at the time but truely is worth the effort.

I've been wanting to show off my student's work for a long time. Can you believe that these beautiful works came out of a beginners weaving course, made by people who didn't know warp from woof? There is a blue, girls poncho made by Heather, a brown alpaca scarf made by Linda, and a pink varigated table runner made by Shirley. I also had another student make a lace weave alpaca scarf (not shown). These were made in addition to a cotton twill weave sampler during the 8 week course that I taught at the Rocky Arts and Crafts Guild. The Guild classes are advertised on Red Deer Kijiji for anyone who is interested in taking a course.

I have to thank my wonderful friends Hero and Hannah for their spontaneous visit to the farm, which just happened to be on the day that I really needed help moving the future playhouse frame. Since then, the frame has evolved into this one-of-a-kind backyard sandbox, playhouse, fort, and get-away. Every day I try to add one more board, which gives me a whole 24 hrs to conjure up where the next board should be placed and how the over all structure is evolving. Ideally, it will become an enclosed sandbox to keep the cats out, as well as an observatory, hiding place, and camper. I will try to post more photos as it continues to evolve.

Hanging laundry under a dark and threatening sky seemed poetic and optomistic. Actually, I thought my dish towels could use an extra rinse which they are getting even now as I type.


100% Yak fibre scarf. I was so excited to work with this yak fibre and this scarf is defenitely unique. It is thin and fine but the fibres, though soft, are dense so it has a nice weight to it. The warp is made from yak fibre that was sent to a local mill and spun into yarn (processed) while the weft was spun by me out of downy, delicious yak roving, I just want to wrap my whole body in the stuff. This fibre is COMBED from live yaks, each yak yeilding approximately 1 lb of fibre per year. It is very rare and very fine, however, because the yarn in the warp was "processed" it is a bit more scratchy than I think it should be and I am working on finding a suitable blend that will maximize the softness. Mind you, this is coming from someone who is extremely scratch sensitive, and to be honest, I'm wearing the scarf right now and I can hardly notice it.

I'm still planning on getting some pics of Alska (new car) but she's a little dirty right now and I'd rather have her pose all pretty and new.

Also, I just finished my 3 day doula workshop in Calgary and I'm now one huge step closer to becoming a DONA certified doula. The class, taught by Elaine Montgomery, was fantastic and I feel much more confident, though still a bit apprehensive about working with women and childbirth. I feel like now I'll have a little time of rest from the subject to let it all sink in while I await guidance toward the next step. When inspiration strikes, I will be rested and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home this is the bottom of the page