Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Gone Fishin'





What pleasure there is in difting on a glassy lake in the last days of summer while lazily attempting to fish. It's hard to believe that we have lived for 4 years very close to a stocked fishing lake yet have never fished. I had forgotten how therapeutic water is to me. I grew up with a fishless lake in our back yard and I would often take out the canoe and paddle about, thinking deep teenaged thoughts and reveling in the isolation. I remember going out once with the wind blowing to the opposite shore and having to paddle like a wild banshee (luckily I come by that naturally) to finally reach home. It was after that experience that I learned to sit in the front of the canoe when paddling into the wind. Most of my experiences, though, were filled with uninterrupted peacefulness, a commodity I prize highly.

Special thanks to Jason and family for your inspiration and for finally dragging us out fishing (true to your word!). I have since bought a fishing license and a couple other lures for the rods you gave us but we have YET to catch our first fish. Lucas did manage to tangle the lines pretty good a couple times, and we are still having fun trying though really, I wouldn't have much of an idea what to do with a floppy thrashing fish if we did catch one on our own. In fact, the thought kinda scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home this is the bottom of the page